November 7, 2009

Amigurumi Knits by Hansi Singh

I got this book from the library and found that it wasn't the exact amigurumi I had hoped to knit. It's nice to try a book out before spending money on it.

Photobucket

The animals, mythical creatures, veggies and fruits were all cute, but not quite what I was looking for. I think size is my biggest concern. I'm looking to make tiny crafts; something smaller than my hand.

It turns out that some of the introductory information in this book was of more help to me than the patterns.

1. Washability. I always get absorbed by the color and texture of yarn and often consider whether it can be machine washed after I have already started a project. Is this amigurumi going to be a keepsake or a toy?

2. Resilient Fiber. Soft, silky fibers don't hold their shape like wool. Wool and wool blends hold a three-dimensional shape a lot longer than other fibers with less elasticity. It's a choice of 'hugging' over 'draping' yarns.

No comments:

Post a Comment