January 9, 2010

More Popeye

This is information I'd like to pass along to anyone interested in adopting Popeye. I try to document behaviors I am fairly certain you won't see from a crate at an adoption day. I hope this helps Popeye find a forever home, if his active personality isn't apparent at Petco.

~~~

After spending a week with this little kitten, he still doesn't like having his picture taken. I've tried to be sneaky; holding the camera over my shoulder, obscuring it behind the couch, but he is onto me every time. Popeye plays in such an entertaining manner. He doesn't care if I'm watching while he plays and he doesn't care if I point the camera at him when he is just sitting around, but if I try while he is playing, he stops what he is doing or disappears.

I have a lot of film of Popeye smelling the ground, staring at me and/or running away.

Popeye really enjoys the little beds and rugs on the ground in the cat area. He gets underneath them and plays, lays on the floor and attacks the edges, either propelling himself along or spinning them in a circle. He also seems to be drawn to little fur covered mice toys. He plays them across our concrete floor, throwing his body down on the ground and sliding across the floor as he does. He has taken all of the mice, one by one, to the same corner of the living room.


2.5 Seconds of Play

(I thought I was smooth grabbing the camera while Popeye was under the cat bed, but he found me out pretty quick. This is still the best video capture of him.)

At this moment, the kittens are playing in the bathtub, although that may not be Popeye's preference. Panzer has been fascinated by jumping in and out of the tub since the first day we got him and I'm sure he has lured Popeye in there with the specific hopes that he will find a playmate to jump in and out with him.
~~~

Popeye has become much more animated when in a lovey mood, too. He walks in a circle while being pet, purring all the while. He seems to want to be pet all over his body. This morning he jumped up on the couch to visit with me, tossed his body down on my lap, rolled over (exposing his belly), and stretched luxuriously. When he looked back at me again, his little tongue was sticking out between his teeth.


Happy in the Morning

(I apologize that this video is mostly of my feet, but it shows how affectionate Popeye is. Too bad you can't hear him purring.)

I don't think Panzer cares for Popeye's 'Lovey Time' at all. He watches us from a distance with his ears turned back. I tell Panzer that I have two hands, but he remains unenthused.

~~~

On a behavioral note, Popeye responds well to a clap of the hands and 'tst' when learning the rules of the house. While he really enjoys exploring the house and has become increasingly lovey with me, he is still caught off guard by new noises and movement. I think that a home with dogs or small children would require a lot of adjustment. Also, if he hides, he can always be lured out with food.


Photobucket
(This is the best pic I have been able to get of Popeye's unusual two-toned eyes. They flow from golden brown to green in the center.)

No comments:

Post a Comment